A professor of mine once stipulated that Indonesians treat their motorcycles like horses. To rephrase, they ride a motorcycle like they would a horse; this is caused by the “jump” from colonial times using a horse as transport, to modern times with its motorcycles. Note that these behaviours are indicative of this theory:
- you don’t ride a horse wearing a helmet
- you don’t ride a horse with any lighting device
- you stop your horse anywhere you please, and even sit on your horse when the horse isn’t actually getting anywhere
- you race your horse when there’s a clean streak ahead!
- you feed your horse diligently but you don’t care about the excretions made – that’s somebody else’s problem
Hence extrapolating from this theory, mikrolets and buses are analogous to horse-drawn carriages, hence the lack of proper suspension and seemingly uncontrolable.